Blog Archive

Monday 29 September 2014

WOMAN WHO USES FACEBOOK TO FIGHT JIGGERS



 Namuleyi, who is in her early 40s, has been assisting families in various constituencies in Bungoma County and neighbouring regions in creating awareness about containing jigger infestation, common among school-going children and adults. AWARENESS CAMPAIGN .

About a year ago, she got to know of a schoolboy who was infested with jiggers and she decided to help. “I posted this case on Facebook and many of the 5,000 friends and 400 followers who responded offered to assist the child,” she says.

“This marked the start of my campaign to remove jiggers from their feet.” She says that with the little money she receives, she bought soap and medicine and visited the young boy at their home.

“I was not going to squander the opportunity so I decided to create a Facebook page and named it Anti-Jigger Campaign Bungoma County.
That is where I post updates of my activities.” Many of her Facebook friends respond with donations. “Seventy per cent of my support comes from Facebook friends, but at times I have to dig deep into my pockets to keep the campaign going,” she says, adding that she is on a shoe-string budget much of the time.
VIA STANDARD DIGITAL

No comments: